May 3, 2013

Review of Tiger's Curse

I've been wanting to read Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck for a while now. I had heard some awesome things about it and I couldn't wait to try it so I was so happy when I was able to spend left over Christmas money on a copy from Books A Million.


Goodreads Sumary:

Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.


My thoughts:
I had heard some awesome things about this book and I couldn't wait to read it. I was slightly disappointed though.

The book held my attention well- I read it in three days between classes and I could hardly put it down. It was fast paced and I loved reading the tidbits about India. It addressed different points of Indian mythology and books focused around a prophesy always hold my attention.

But....

I found the book too.... convenient. Kelsey must complete certain tasks to unlock the prophecy and they seemed to instantly know how, where, and what to do. There was no real challenge to anything in the story. There was also quite a bit of instant love. The main characters had some kind of kismet connection and were instantly in love.

I would give the book 2.5/5 stars because I did like the characters. Kelsey did have some backbone and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She especially was capable of standing up for herself and keeping with her decision at the end of the book. I actually do want to read the next book because even if the first book was convenient  I want to see how they complete the prophecy for the rest of the series.

You can find Tiger's Curse at Amazon here. I would also suggest checking out Colleen Houck's website for a selection of extras including: previews of the books, book trailers, book playlists, and Tiger's Curse ecards.

Have you read Tiger's Curse? What'd you think? Have you read any books lately that were too convenient? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about things being too convenient. I will say though, that I enjoyed this series more as it went on. I hands down think book one is the weakest of all the books. I would absolutely suggest trying more of the series- especially books 3/4 are very intricate and detailed (you can see how the writer evolves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! That's the interesting thing, I thought the book was too convienent but it held my attention and I am looking forward to reading the next book. Especially since hearing you say the later books are worth it. I'm willing to grow with an author/series. :)

      Delete

Now Tell Me What You Think!