October 15, 2013

Teaser Tuesday

Thank goodness for the library! I'm hoping to get a computer from a friend later this week or next, but as of now I have to make due using the public library's computers. They are a little ancient and don't want to let me compose a blog post the usual way, but it's better than nothing.

I would like to post a Teaser Tuesday from one of the books I'll be checking out today. I haven't started any so the sentences will be as much a surprise to me as anyone else.

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme posted by Should Be Reading. In this meme, you grab your current read and open it up to a random page, and post two teaser sentences from it. I think the first book I'm going to read from this bunch of library books is Shine by Lauren Myracle.

At this time, Blogger (or the library computer) won't let me insert pictures. So, I will instead post the GoodReads summary and the teasers alone. I can't wait to get my own computer!

When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice. Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.

Because I have 90 GFC followers, I flipped to page 90.

Mama Sweetie had taught Patrick and me about handling bad emotions. If you breathed deep and set your mind to it, you could rise above your anger.

"Yes, that man acted ugly," she told us in plain English. "But throwing more ugliness back at him ain't the answer."

I'm really looking forward to reading this book! It seems to be about prejudice and gay rights and this is one of the issues I get most upset about. I just don't understand why everyone gets so concerned about what other people do in the bedroom. But that is a discussion for another day.

What do you think about realist books on everyday issues? Do you like them or do you prefer to read fantasy to escape reality? Leave me a comment and let me know! I've missed you all so much!

2 comments:

  1. My teasers almost always come as a surprise to me. I do my TT post before I start to read the book. My teaser is from Teardrop by Lauren Kate this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the book the other day and the teasers turned out to be a pretty big part of the book. I usually do my TT with whatever I'm reading now. So it could be from a page I haven't gotten to yet or something I've already read. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Now Tell Me What You Think!